Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow Day

A snow day is a great sort of day to start a long delayed venture, so after sledding twice, I sit down to begin this blog, a way to examine my experience of parenting and how it has been influenced by the intensity of my training as a Montessori teacher. I also hope that this will be a way to share some of what I've learned as a teacher and a mom. I'm often asked for good books, good toys and the like, that I hope I can record some of the advice I've given along the way all in one place.

Today I have enjoyed being outdoors with my children as cold as it was. For my older daughter, I know that most days she spends at least a half an hour outside each day, either playing or during PE. But for both of my children, I need to make a greater effort to make sure that they spend at least an hour outside each day. I very much agree with the National Wildlife Federation (among many other organizations, educators and researchers) that spending time outside is invaluable for every child (and adult for that matter). It helps us to concentrate, connects us with ourselves and, research has shown, makes us more emotionally resilient. What a bonus for something that it fun, too. If you're interested, check out www. greenhour.org for more information about the National Wildlife Federation's Green Hour campaign.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere, Montessori Mommy! Looks like you're off to a great start.

    I can't wait for spring, when we all can be outside so much more each day. Maybe this weekend we'll see some nice weather & can spend even more time outside!

    ReplyDelete